~ What We Do ~
We host free bi-monthly Zoom Open Forum and Poetry Hub workshops for critique, sharing and writing. Our regular monthly Chapter meeting is a time reserved for members to come together as a team, review projects, plan for new ones and celebrate successful completions! We welcome visitors and friends. After the meeting we have poetry share, do writing prompts, bring in special speakers, hold open mic's, poetry and book readings by published authors and musicians. In other words, have FUN! Our Chapter participates in interesting art and charity projects with other organizations throughout the Northeast Florida area.
Check out the "About Us" page for more details about just some of our amazing writing programs and community outreach and charity projects......
Click the "Subscribe" button to subscribe to our Newsletter and receive notices about upcoming events.
CALENDAR - RSVP ON MEETUP.COM ~
Use the Jacksonville Poetry Meetup Calendar page to find an event. The First Thursday and Third Tuesday of every month North Florida Poetry Hub workshop meetings have gone virtual on Zoom. Click the link button below to jump to the Meetup Calendar page and get started connecting today! RSVP and get your Zoom link via Meetup.
Here are some benefit highlights of your membership:
* Three Memberships in One ($35/year adult, $20/year student**): Annual Membership runs from date of sign-up for 12 months.
Three memberships in one:
~ North Florida Poetry Hub
~ Florida State Poets Association, adult and student memberships
~ National Federation of State Poetry Societies
* NFPH hosts In-Person local events throughout the year in the NE Florida area.
* Programs to hone writing skills, publishing opportunities, personal and community cultural enrichment, unique poetic charity projects.
* Members personal bio, website/blog promoted/featured on our chapter website member page.
* The Poet's Pen - Every member has the opportunity to publish a limited edition Chapbook Volume mentored with experienced, self-published poets.
* Create-Submit-Celebrate Goals Project ~ Incentivized challenge to submit to publishers on a regular basis shared with other participants as a group project for the purpose of nonjudgemental accountability. A Special Small Press, Limited Edition Poetry Chapbook for participants who successfully complete the program is published each year.
* Two Yearly Conventions with Florida State Poets Association
* Local and Regional Open Mic's
* Poetry Slam Contests, adult and student
* Networking with local and state-wide poets and writers, literary industry connections including nationally recognized published authors, educators, publishers, and other important leaders in the literary field.
* Annual FSPA and NFSPA Poetry Contests (discounted entry fees or no-cost for members)
* One of your Poems Published Annually in the FSPA Anthology "Cadance"
* Subscription to the poetry journal:
Florida State Poets Association's six annual issues, Of Poets & Poetry
and the National Federation of State Poetry Society Quarterly Strophies newsletter
If you're not a member yet, don't wait to take advantage of the many benefits of our membership! It's easy! Simply download the membership application and follow the directions on the application form. Any questions, please contact Ruth@NorthFloridaPoetryHub.org
** (Definition of a Student: Active student K-12 (including home-schooled), active college, trade school or graduate students, in-progress GED program or ESL students anywhere in Florida. Student must provide a copy of their student ID with membership application.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING......
I had the good fortune to find out about the North Florida Poetry Hub this year. Being a member of this chapter has brightened up a difficult year. Our chapter president offered a warm welcome to me, and then to two poet friends of mine. The online zoom meetings give us a chance to share our writings and hear others do the same. Guest speakers encourage us to keep creating and sharing. ~ Sally Wahl-Constain
"The NFPH gatherings have given me the impetus to experiment in a variety of different writing styles, especially in these most un-motivating of times!. The friendly but honest feedback is welcome and useful. I will soon become a member." ~ Chris Kastle, St. Augustine, Florida
The North Florida Poetry Hub has rekindled my love for poetry again! I continue to learn new things from each workshop and meeting. Ruth Van Alstine, President, has a real love for the craft and her expertise spills over to all who are involved. I am so happy to be a part of North Florida Poetry Hub and I am looking forward to the next meeting!
—Nuala Molloy Moran
North Florida Poetry Hub has given me a purpose in life. I was looking for a local chapter of the Florida State Poets Association to join, and when Steffani Fletcher of Hope At Hand organized North Florida Poetry Hub I signed up under her charter right away! Since then it has been a wonderful four years of continued personal and professional growth. I enjoy working with all the awesome people involved in this great organization from State to the local levels and have made many great friends along the way. ~ Ruth Van Alstine, Jacksonville, Florida
"North Florida Poetry Hub is a great resource for writers and poetry lovers of all kinds. They offer a variety of workshops to enhance your skills and offer a friendly, supportive atmosphere for both new and experienced authors. Kudos to Ruth - The Florida Poetry Fairy - and her partners for all they do to advance the art of poetry throughout our local communities." ~ Loretta M. Leto, Poet and PAM Jam Coordinator
North Florida Poetry Hub
C/O Hope At Hand
3886 Atlantic Blvd,
Jacksonville, FL 32207
North Florida Poetry Hub is a chapter of the Florida State Poets Association and was created by the local nonprofit Hope at Hand, Inc. to support and help the arts flourish for poets, writers and lovers of all things poetic and artistic in the North Florida region.
POETRY. WELLNESS. HOPE ~ Hope At Hand is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides art and poetry sessions to vulnerable and at-risk youth populations. Using creativity, language, art and therapeutic approaches, we facilitate healing and personal growth for children and adolescents.
Learn More: HopeAtHand.org